Thursday 27 December 2012

The forgotten 2

Since the last blog much debate has been created as to who is the most dominant player in sports. First of all before revealing the two people I did feel I missed out I need to clarify my argument. I'm not arguing who is the best sportsmen of all time or even this current era because as I explained Johnson would not even enter that argument as he has never won anything. So how could he possible be compared to the greatest heavy weight champion Mohammed Ali or 5 time NBA champion and 6 time NBA MVP Michael Jordan.

My argument is no one currently dominates their sport either physically or through performance no matter what the opposition do. I will admit my argument is slightly bias as many of you know I am a huge Detroit Lions fan and Johnson is one of very few bright spots that has got me through a dark season.

I was pleased to see many people had a guess at the two sportsman who have dominated in a similar way to Johnson, if it was a discussion with me personal or through a forum or on a social media sight it created some good debate. Shout out to the following people who got it correct. Nigel Hume, Robert Owen and Rupert Collett. They mentioned either Roger Federer or Tiger Woods.

Starting with Woods I think the current man is not a dominant golfer although come a major he still has this ora surrounding him that he is still fancied as a favourite and magic could happen at any moment. This arises from when he was dominant, in a period between 1999- 2002 Woods won 7 out of 11 majors and on a number occasions by quiet a distance. It's this dominant period when his performance level was vastly above anyone else in the sport that golfers still fear today. This is a clear display of dominating within sport and is comparably to the dominant spell Johnson is having with gaining a ridiculous amount of receiving yards.

Federer like Woods and unlike Johnson belongs in that greatest sportsmen of all time debate as well as this one. Federer is similar to Woods in the fact he has not dominated by having any special physical tools like Johnson's speed or size but through performance and dominating all competition. Federer has dominated other a larger time scale than Woods, out of the last 32 grand slams Federer has won other half of them (17). This is remarkable when there has been other great competition in the world of tennis during that era, Federer on a performance level has dominated.

Congratulations to those of you that guessed correctly, back to more current affairs tomorrow. Hope everyone had a lovely Christmas, thank you to my gorgeous fiancé who said yes to marrying me on Christmas Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment